Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Current Obsession With Weathersealing My House

I work in a hardware store, so I spend the majority of my days around various items for home improvement. Since starting my job about six months ago, I have learned basic (very basic) plumbing, what a chuck key is, and I am obsessed with weather sealing my house. I should probably explain a few things...

First off, anybody who has ever been inside my house knows that it is extremely cold. There are rumors that my house is on an Indian Burial Ground, thus why the temperature is always around ten degrees colder than everywhere else around us. Last year, when the Spring thaw came, driving down the street you could see everyone's lawn except my own, which was still covered in snow (and wouldn't melt for another week). Being a little guy, I hate the cold, as most little guys do.

I obviously wanted to do something about it, and you would to if you had to consider a coat as a piece of your pajamas. I'm constantly looking at the different products we have to make your home more energy efficient (and less cold). Double draft stops for doors, foam insulated pads for the inside of electrical outlets, plastic kits to stretch over the window, and I'm even thinking about getting a large insulated blanket to wrap around the hot water heater. This is insane!!! I should not be worried about the energy efficiency of my home, that's something my dad would worry about. I should be worried about the lack of pizza rolls in the freezer or how I'm going to sleep in my bed without having to actually clean all the crap off of it.

Six months ago if you would have asked me if I was concerned or thinking about weather sealing my house for the winter, I probably would have laughed. Now if you ask me, I would probably cry, because it's sad that I have enough time on my hands even working constantly to sit and think about stuff like this.

That's what the last six months have been like. I get spurts of energy where I suddenly become obsessed with 'fixing' something around the house because of something I saw while at work. I have still yet to re-caulk the bath tub. I was going to fix a hole in the drywall (so glad I talked myself out of that one), and made myself learn all the parts in the back of my toilet and how they function. I'm twenty years old, yet I think like a 47 year old South Warren handyman.

On a sidenote, everyone should learn about the back tank of their toilet if not the whole toilet. The toilet has to be one of the simplest things in the world, and pretty much anyone can fix a problem with it. Also, nine times out of ten if you're toilet is broke, you need a new flapper (write that down).

I had no idea how simple the mechanics of a toilet were, and upon learning the fundamentals of toilet repair, I became very angry at plumbers in general. I should open my own free lance part time back tank toilet repair company. All we'll do is fix things in the back tank of the toilet. When it comes to the bottom half of the toilet, that's when you can call a real plumber. Allport's Partial Toilet Repair Co. (we specialize in changing flappers). I think it's a very feasible plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment