Saturday, October 23, 2010

My (Favorite) Coffee Mug Is Broken

DISCLAIMER: The following post is me over-reacting to my coffee mug being broken.

In a matter of moments, my favorite coffee mug was broken. The handle was smashed into a million (actually three) pieces. Of course, I didn’t break it, I would never be so neglectful around my coffee mug. It was my mother who broke it while I was out of sight. I of course will be trying to repair it with some kind of crazy glue or epoxy. I would’ve started earlier, but I’m waiting until tomorrow when Employee Appreciation week begins at work and I get it real cheap. Sometimes you just gotta wait it out.

Of course though, I have tons of coffee mugs, all of which had they been broken instead, I would've said that they were my favorite. But they aren’t broken, so they aren’t my favorite, my favorite is the one that is broken, simply put.

She suggested that I use the cup as a pencil holder, and I calmly (furiously) rebutted “No! I have a place to put my pencils, I need a place to put my coffee!” and then she cried and I felt bad. (The following dialogue is not verbatim, and has been exaggerated immensely. Also, my mother did not cry.)

Having coffee in the morning, all I can feel is grief for that mug. Someone did mention to me that I could still drink coffee out of it, it was just the handle that was broken. After I broke both of that person's feet, I calmly told them "You can still walk, you're legs aren't broken, it's just your feet." If a person could drink coffee out of a mug without a handle, then they wouldn't make handles would they????

But, I can lament and rant about the architectural history of the coffee mug in it's many dynamics, and it's immense trials and tribulations over the years, but it won't fix my broken (favorite) coffee mug.

From what I can gather, something fell out of a cupboard and landed on the mug (which was in the sink), and of course the rest is history. Just like that, something falling from a high shelf completely shook and rocked my whole world, disturbing the very bedrock of my existence as it has never done before.

In all seriousness though, it would make a very handy pencil cup on the desk in my office... doesn't mean I will though.

No comments:

Post a Comment