Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Fictitious Free-Cucumber Stand

I was out walking today, hitting up a few garage sales. First off, garage sales this summer are really crappy. It seems as if people are just emptying their garbage cans out on card tables and slapping price stickers on them. Absolutely nothing worth buying, just stuff like old chipped coffee mugs that seem to still have a coffee film inside from the last time it was used, or Betamax tapes.
But the real story of today is about a particular lady that I ran into randomly while walking. From afar, I could tell that she was holding something in each hand, but I could not tell what it was. Then she waved at me, and I started squinting my eyes, wondering if I was supposed to know who this person was. Upon getting closer to her, I did not recognize her and instantly labeled her a crazy person. Upon getting even more close, I realized she was holding a cucumber in each hand. Yes, cucumbers. As I’m about to pass her, she stops me.
“Young man, would you like a cucumber to take home?” She asked.
“No, thank you.” I said.
“They’re giving away free cucumbers at the corner of the street. You should get some.” She tells me, and then goes on her way. I keep walking, and briefly put what she just said out of my head. But suddenly I’m at the corner of the street and I’m realizing something. There is nobody giving away free cucumbers on this corner. I ended up proposing two theories. One was that woman was completely insane and probably just stole two cucumbers out of somebody’s backyard believing it to be ‘a free cucumber stand’ rather than a garden. Or there actually was a free cucumber stand, but in the three minutes between the bizarre cucumber lady talking and me arriving at the corner, they ran out and quickly disassembled their makeshift stand (which I could only assume was a plywood and particle board junk heap much like a young child’s lemonade stand). I was more inclined to go with the first one. I began to imagine some elderly couple who was frightened, hiding in their house behind the blinds after being harassed by some crazy lady who just ransacked their garden.
I almost wanted to double back and find this lady and interrogate her.
“Where is this fictitious free cucumber stand you speak of? Not that I want any, but I just have to know, where the hell did you get those vegetables? You got them somewhere!” But by that time she was long gone. And so ends the brief yet weird story of the cucumber lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment